Bus Driver- (Coach Operator) Part Time
Company: Orange County Transportation Authority
Location: Garden Grove
Posted on: July 13, 2019
About OCTA:The Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA),
Orange County's primary transportation agency. It's our job to
develop and deliver transportation solutions to enhance the quality
of life and keep Orange County moving. Operating in a 798
square-mile area, we serve more than 3 million residents in 34
cities and unincorporated areas. Our responsibilities extend to all
forms of transportation, including bus and paratransit service,
Metrolink commuter rail service, planned future rail, including
street cars, the 91 Express Lanes Toll Road, freeway, street and
road improvement projects, motorist services and regulating taxi
operations. OCTA has been recognized for excellence in the public
transportation industry by the American Public Transportation
Association, and has been honored with awards from local and
national organizations for our transportation improvements. OCTA's
core values consist of integrity, teamwork, communication customer
focus and can-do spirit. Overview: Responsible for safely operating
all types of agency motor coaches and on-board equipment to
transport passengers over specified routes. The hourly rate for
this position is:
- $18.25/Hour - Starting wage
- $19.01/Hour - After completion of six (6) months
- $28.67/Hour - Top rate after 60 months This position will
remain open until filled.This list is intended to indicate the
general nature and level of work performed by employees within this
classification and is not designed to be interpreted as an
exhaustive listing of all tasks required of employees assigned to
- Safely operates a motor coach on a specified route, making
required stops for passengers at designated terminals and
- Maintains time schedules; issues transfers and collects
- Assists passengers by answering bus service questions;
announcing transfer points, major intersections, and destination
points; assists persons with disabilities to board and depart the
coach and provides assistance to passengers as may be required to
ensure optimum customer service and courtesy.
- Complies with written and posted traffic regulations and agency
policies and procedures.
- Records and reports needed motor coach adjustments or
- Completes and submits accident and trouble reports on date
accident or trouble occurred.
- Reports accidents, law violations, and other incidents, as
- Performs related duties as required. In order to complete the
application process, upload your current DMV K4-10 year printout as
a document utilizing the "Upload Resume" button on your application
profile. You do not need to submit a resume for this position. Your
current DMV K4-10 year printout must be issued not more than 30
days prior to your application submittal. DMV online printouts not
accepted. Your application will not be reviewed until your DMV
K4-10 year printout is received. At the time of application, you
must provide evidence of meeting the following state-mandated
requirements for a Commercial Driver License or Permit:
- 21 years of age at time of application.
- Must have a valid Class C driver's license at time of
- Must have been a United States licensed driver for at least 3
continuous years preceding the date that you apply; suspension of
lapse of driving privilege for any reason, for a total of more than
6 months during the specified 3 continuous years and through the
date of appointment will be cause for disqualification.
- Has not had their driving privilege suspended, revoked, or
placed on probation by DMV for a cause involving the safe operation
of a motor vehicle.
- Physical strength and dexterity to complete the physical
aspects of the required training program and job.
- 1 Year of recent work experience in an occupation requiring
extensive public contact or one year prior bus driving
- Demonstrated regular & successful work history.The Authority
reviews your driving history against a high standard and will be
considered acceptable if you meet the following requirements:
- No DMV points within 3 years from your application date.
- No accidents where applicant contributed to cause within 3
years from your application date.
- Have appeared in court, as requested.
- Have paid fines, as requested.Are free from any serious traffic
convictions such as:
- Evading an officer
- Hit and run
- Excessive speed
- Speed contest
- Reckless driving
- Leaving the scene of an accident
- And driving under the influenceThis list is not all inclusive.
Other violations and/or accidents will be reviewed on a
case-by-case basis and may be cause for non-selection. Special
- All applicants must possess a Class B Instruction Permit with
"P" (passenger) endorsement and no air brake restrictions prior to
- Once employed, coach operators must possess and maintain a
valid California Commercial Driver License Class A or B with "P"
(passenger) endorsement and no air brakes restrictions.
- Applicants may apply with a Class C driver license.
- All applicants must successfully complete the Student Coach
Operator Training program to qualify for full-time employment.
- California State Motor Vehicle Code.
- Principles and practices of public relations and customer
- Verbal and written communications skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and
courtesy. Ability to:
- Pass the state-mandated physical performance tests which
include the ability to: safely and effectively conduct motor coach
pre-operation inspection; grasp and turn steering wheel in both
directions; reach and operate floor and instrument panel controls;
correctly operate electronic fare and transfer equipment, correctly
operate on-board communications equipment, extend, operate, and
secure all types of wheelchair lifts mounted on OCTA vehicles,
manipulate an occupied disabled person's mobility equipment to an
on-board location and properly secure with installed constraint
apparatus, lift, close, and secure access doors and panels during
equipment inspection procedures.
- Understand and follow oral and written communications.
- Work varying shifts, hours, days, and locations.
- Make basic arithmetic calculations.
- Speak, read, and write in English.
- Complete various required forms.
- Analyze a variety of situations occurring en route and/or
involving public safety to adopt an effective course of
action.Safety Sensitive: Positions in this job classification are
considered safety sensitive and are subject to drug and alcohol
testing, including but not limited to pre-employment testing,
post-accident testing and random testing, under Federal
Transportation Administration (FTA) drug and alcohol regulations,
and U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations, 49 CFR
Part 40 and Part 655. Please refer to the OCTA Drug and Alcohol
Policy Manual for additional information. OCTA is an equal
opportunity employer and will not tolerate discrimination in
employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry,
national origin, age, gender, pregnancy, gender
identity/expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical
condition, disability, genetic information, military and veteran
status, or other legally protected status as established by federal
or state law.
Keywords: Orange County Transportation Authority, Garden Grove , Bus Driver- (Coach Operator) Part Time, Professions , Garden Grove, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!