Functional Team Lead, Analysis - Remote, US
Company: GKN Aerospace Services
Location: Garden Grove
Posted on: June 6, 2021
GKN Aerospace is the world's leading multi-technology tier 1
aerospace supplier. With 50 manufacturing locations in 15
countries, we serve over 90% of the world's aircraft and engine
manufacturers. We design and manufacture innovative smart aerospace
systems and components. Our technologies are used in aircraft
ranging from the most used single aisle aircraft and the largest
passenger planes in the world to business jets and the world's
advanced 5th generation fighter aircraft.
About the opportunity
GKN Aerospace is a global engineering business. Every time you
travel by air almost anywhere in the world, it is likely that GKN
is helping you on your way. We design, manufacture and service
systems and components for original equipment manufacturers around
the world. We are continuously evolving, pioneering new
technologies and reinventing existing ones, stretching ourselves to
be better in everything we do.
We are looking for people who want to make a difference,
talented members with the skills and passions to become the best of
the future in what they do.
The Functional Team Lead is responsible to lead a team (or
teams) of an engineering function in order to deliver the assigned
engineering project or functional objectives on schedule, within
budget, and to the defined technical requirements. A Functional
Team Lead may also be used in a project specific role to
guide/direct programme functional team(s) where a programme has
more than one team (typically working on separate work packages) of
a specific function in order to ensure consistent approaches and
methods for the function are used across the programme. A
Functional Team Lead is a permanent role within the standard
organisational structure and manages a team of engineers
functionally and operationally. The role is accountable for the
performance of the team(s) under their control and specifically to
deliver all programme engineering design objectives on schedule,
within budget, and to the defined technical requirements. They also
oversee and monitor functional activities within the
programme/team; independently review deliverables and assist
Engineering Team Leaders and Chief Engineers to manage programme
technical risk. They are also expected to provide specialized
technical knowledge and expertise in support of the programme. A
Functional Team Lead reports hierarchically and functionally to the
respective Head of Function and operationally to either Programme
Chief Engineer (if leading guiding/directing multiple functional
teams) or to the Engineering Team Leader.
- Lead functional team(s) to deliver the assigned tasks to
achieve the programme/project objectives through planning, work
tasking, and execution of required engineering activities.
- Provide technical functional oversight for engineering design
solutions, ensuring compliance with all relevant customer,
regulatory, and airworthiness requirements, within agreed program,
schedule, and manufacturing constraints.
- Develop and implement methods plans, toolsets and solutions
that are appropriate and compliant to achieve the design and
- Provide functional review of generated bids and proposals
within assigned programmes/projects.
- Assess, manage, and mitigate overall technical risk within
- Review test specifications/plans and/or alternate means of
compliance as required to demonstrate design solution complies with
- Create engineering designs and verify design compliance to
defined requirements including dimensions, materials, parts,
process notes, assemblies.
- Generate, sign, check, or approve all assigned project
deliverables, documents, and reports as required within limits of
- Provide an independent check for release of technical
documentation as required.
- Implement training and capability strategies to manage
training, mentoring, and development of engineers within assigned
programmes/projects including technical signatories.
- Support technical and customer discussions and reviews,
including formal gate reviews, the creation and preparation of
technical data and presentations.
- Process and verify concessions and remedial activity and
provide technical support by implementing solutions to address
non-conforming products and designs, as required.
- Implement a lean continuous improvement culture and strategy
within the programme/project team(s).
- Establish and implement knowledge management strategies for the
Job Responsibilites (Cont...)
- Support the development and maintenance of functional work
instructions, procedures, technical manuals, and guidelines.
- Manage the overall performance, engagement, and capability
development of the programme/project team through the management of
performance development plans, training, mentoring, and other
- Provide key performance indicators for programme activities to
drive continuous improvement and provide updates / reports, and
standard measures to the senior management team, as required.
- Create a positive workplace environment within the programme
through regular meetings, engagement & coaching.
- Must possess a high level of engineering functional knowledge
(typically Technical Excellence Framework level 4 or higher in an
appropriate Area of Expertise) and awareness of other disciplines
in order to successfully manage/guide the project/programme
- Must possess an awareness of business expertise especially in
the Aerospace industry and in the product area the
project/programme is responsible for (eg. Aerostructures, EWIS,
- Must possess a high level of leadership ability as the role is
accountable for the competing parameters of technical quality
(Safety/Airworthiness) as well as project schedule and cost
adherence for the technical activities.
- Must possess a high level of problem solving skills to
successfully manage the technical direction of the projects.
- The role requires a high level of interpersonal skills - see
below for details of skills and personal attributes required.
- Bachelor Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
working and thinking Level gained through experience.
- 10+ years of relevant experience gained within an engineering
discipline, ideally within an aerospace environment and in
multi-disciplinary engineering project teams (Design/CM, EWIS,
Analysis, M&P, Manufacturing/ Industrialization).
- U.S. persons with ability to obtain a Department of Defense
- Have a strong technical background and knowledge within the
- Able to hold (internal) technical approval authority within the
- Experience in dealing with related functions
(Operations/Production, Sales/Customer Relationship Management,
Supplier Management and Development).
- Able to manage complex technical work statements; ability to
rationalise, assess and evaluate information that may not always be
clear or mature.
- Possess project management, planning and organising skills
based on recognised project management methods.
- Solid approach/understanding to the delivery and tracking of
- Able to define challenging objectives and achieve them.
- Relationship building at various engineering levels.
- Able to work with other functions as required to achieve
- Has excellent judgement in considering when escalation is
- Strong minded, convincing and committed, focussed on delivery,
must be able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Ability to clearly present data, reports and presentations to
facilitate the decision making process at all levels of the
- Proficient in hand calculations and rough sizing
- Proficient in Nastran & Patran along with non-linear analysis
tools such as LS-Dyna.
- Completed Project Management Training / Courses.
- Accountable for budgets.
- Implemented change within their business area.
- Having worked in multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary teams in an
- Ability to mentor and coach Engineers in the Delivery of their
specific Task and supporting their professional Growth.
- Established links with external (engineering) bodies such as
Technical Institutes, Universities, ASD, SAE, RAS, EASA, or similar
Diversity Inclusion and Belonging (DIB)
As a global engineering company, innovation is what
differentiates us from our competitors and is central to our
A balance of cultures, ethnicities and genders help bring new
ideas and creativity to GKN. We need people of different
backgrounds, with different skills and perspectives to spark
originality, imagination and creativeness in our teams around the
GKN is an equal opportunity employer.
We treat all our employees and applicants fairly and are
committed to ensuring that there is no discrimination or harassment
against any employee or qualified applicant on the grounds of age,
race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status,
affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status or any other
characteristic protected by law.
Keywords: GKN Aerospace Services, Garden Grove , Functional Team Lead, Analysis - Remote, US, Other , Garden Grove, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!