Director of Airworthiness & Quality - Garden Grove, CA Company:
GKN Aerospace Careers
GKN Aerospace is the world’s leading multi-technology tier 1
aerospace supplier. With 50 manufacturing locations in
15 countries, we serve over 90% of the world’s aircraft and
engine manufacturers. We design and manufacture innovative smart
aerospace systems and components. Our technologies are used in
aircraft ranging from the most used single aisle aircraft and the
largest passenger planes in the world to business jets and the
world’s advanced 5th generation fighter aircraft.
About the opportunity
GKN Aerospace is a global engineering business. Every time you
travel by air almost anywhere in the world, it is likely that GKN
is helping you on your way. We design, manufacture and service
systems and components for original equipment manufacturers around
the world. We are continuously evolving, pioneering new
technologies and reinventing existing ones, stretching ourselves to
be better in everything we do.
We are looking for people who want to make a difference,
talented members with the skills and passions to become the best of
the future in what they do.
*This position has the ability to work at either of our Garden
Grove, CA, Cromwell, CT, or St Louis, MO sites OR remotely.*
The Airworthiness & Quality Director shall be expected to fulfil
the responsibilities of Chief of the Office of Airworthiness where
the business is required to operate under a formal DOA
The Airworthiness & Quality Director shall deputize for the
Engineering & Technology Organization in all Airworthiness matters
for the Defense Business.
• Shall be expected to fulfil the responsibilities of Chief of
the Office of Airworthiness where the business is required to
operate under a formal Military airworthiness or DOA approval
• Functional relationships with the customers’ responsible
Airworthiness Department for Airworthiness matters although
day-to-day aspects of this responsibility are, in general,
delegated to the Chief Engineer of the respective
• Formulating, managing and maintaining the Design Organization
Interface Document(s) with customers.
• Reporting instances of non-compliances with the agreed
airworthiness requirements to the Head of the Design Organization
and where appropriate, to Customers and/or Airworthiness
• Initiating, co-coordinating and monitoring corrective measures
resulting from reviews and internal audits.
• Checking the correctness and completeness of the airworthiness
requirements of the customer.
• Determination of the feasibility of the airworthiness
requirements, in consultation with the Chief Engineer.
• Supervising compliance demonstration with the agreed
airworthiness requirements during the design process.
• Providing information to Defense Business teams, functions and
programs about new or amended airworthiness or design assurance
• Monitoring of significant events on other aeronautical
products as far as relevant to determine their effect on
airworthiness of parts being designed by the Design
• Supervising the authorized signatory function on aspects which
• Identification and delivery of professional development and
training related for all staff
• Provide both technical and process guidance to Program, Site
and Project allocated Analysis teams to ensure they work in
accordance with approved Airworthiness processes and demonstrate a
proactive approach to continuous improvement and LEAN
• When required, represent Airworthiness at Preliminary Design
Reviews (PDR), Critical Design Reviews (CDR), Design Visual
Inspections and Technical Review Boards (TRB’s) inter alia.
• Monitor and maintain personal and company performance
objectives. Address performance issues in a timely manner and
encourage excellent performance in all aspects of the job
• Manage the Airworthiness functional budget.
• Responsible for enabling effective management of product and
process quality risk across the business line through the provision
of processes and tools.
• Auditing execution of agreed Design Organization Interface
Document(s) (DOIDs) with the customer to ensure compliance to the
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
• 15 years of experience in the field of Aerospace
• 5 years of Military Airworthiness Experience
• Active Secret DOD Clearance or the ability to obtain one
• Must be a US Citizen due to program security clearance
• GKN Experience
• Master’s degree in Engineering preferred
• Graduate of military test pilot school preferred
• Accountability for Airworthiness system and/or being an
approved technical signatory
• Airworthiness system training eg. Part 21J (or similar)
• Lean, Six-sigma or similar continuous improvement system
qualifications (eg. Black-belt)
• Experience of EASA/FAA design office requirements
Diversity and Inclusion
As a global engineering company, innovation is what
differentiates us from our competitors and is central to our
A balance of cultures, ethnicities and genders help bring new
ideas and creativity to GKN. We need people of different
backgrounds, with different skills and perspectives to spark
originality, imagination and creativeness in our teams around the
GKN is an equal opportunity employer.
We treat all our employees and applicants fairly and are
committed to ensuring that there is no discrimination or harassment
against any employee or qualified applicant on the grounds of age,
race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status,
affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status or any other
characteristic protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Orange County
Nearest Secondary Market: Los Angeles